« Home | Truth or Dare » | Plankton » | Vine Ripened » | Cathartic » | The Wave of the Future? » | The Starting Line » | Saturn Return » 

9.10.2006 

Never Forget











Thomas J. Cahill was a 36-year-old securities trader who was working for Cantor Fitzgerald on September 11, 2001.

When I first sat down to write this blog, I thought about the best way to share who Thomas Cahill was. I began listing facts that I'd come across: He was a natural born athlete. He traveled near and far to enjoy his favorite sports including tennis, cycling, baseball, skiing, golf, and fishing. He loved life. He was kind hearted and giving. He loved his family and friends. He had a wicked sense of humor. He enjoyed having a cold beer and a cigar.

As I read the comments about Tom here, I began to get a picture of who he was. He was larger than life, and he left a positive mark on all he met. How many of us can really say that we love life? I mean, really love life on a day-to-day basis? In a New York Times tribute, his mother, Kathleen, shared that Tom really did love life and that though he was only here for a short time, he packed a lot of living into those 36 years.

I have quickly decided that Tom is someone that I wish I had gotten the opportunity to know. It seems as though he was the type of person that you not only wanted to be around, but also wanted to be like. I feel honored to be able to remember Thomas J. Cahill today.

No matter what I write here, I do not feel like I can pay tribute like Thomas, and all the others who lost their lives, deserve. So, as my way of paying tribute, I want to make the most sincere effort to be the sort of person that Tom was: To love life. It is so easy to get caught up in the trivialities we encounter. Traffic, rude people, the long line at Starbucks, getting cut off, etc. But, those things are all life. Embrace them! Take a different route to avoid the traffic, go to a small coffee house, forgive the person who cuts you off. It is difficult, but I am going to make a sincere effort to try. I didn't even know Tom, but it looks like he's touched my life as well.

Wonderful Tribute!
Thank you.
These are sad and hard to read....
I am honored to be a part of this project.
Mine is posted also...

The 2996 link is down. I have a new link on my site to view the participants.

Bless you...

Beautiful tribute! Thank you very much!

I am Tommy's sister and just now today came across this as i was missing my beautiful brother Tommy..You made me cry with such sweet memories and you honored my brother and helped me to know that people still care..and remember....My family thanks you for this remembrance we miss Tommy each day and not a day goes by that we dont remember him and his life knowing we believe we will see him in heaven....Thank You i am sure Tommy is smiling down on this remembrance.....The funny teeth the last person mentioned are still very much with us....you can go to Cantorfamilies.org for more remembrances....Kathy (Tommy's sister)

Post a Comment